Next time you hear some incredible claims about how some proprietary bearings are so good, particularly backed by claims about how long they spin for, remember:
– 608 bearings were designed for low radial load, zero axial load, high speed operations. In skates they are expected to do the opposite, so tolerances measured on the ABEC rating are pretty meaningless
– most of the bearings you will see for sale come from one of a very small number of Chinese factories. They will mostly be identical products to their competitors with different branding and packaging.
– there are many factors which affect your speed far more than the bearings you use. For example, the wheels you use (size, profile, hardness, rebound) the frames they are in, the types of spacers used and obviously your own fitness. Bearings don’t even figure as long as they aren’t wrecked
– which brings us to maintenance. Simply cleaning and lubricating your bearings occasionally will extend their life immeasurably. Longer than the wheels, frames or even your skates. Don’t neglect them to the point they no longer turn then fork out for the latest ABEC 11’s.
– and finally, don’t believe people who demonstrate how great their bearings are using the “spin test”. For reference see below
In short, don’t fall for the hype. Don’t get screwed.